6.12.2006

Iowa Sheep & Wool, Part 1

I don't know how many parts I'm going to have to a report on the Iowa Sheep & Wool Festival, but this is part 1 - an overview.

This was only the second year for the festival - and for the second year, I was quite impressed. It's definitely small, but the people are super friendly and the yarn goodies were UNBELIEVABLE.

These photos were from the vendor building. I would say that there were about 15 vendors total. It was smaller than I expected, but like I said, the yarn and other goodies made up for it!!


This is the booth for Lone Tree Wools. Those flat packages in the front are silk hankies (I bought some!!) They also carry wool roving (the top stuff that comes in a long string - I bought some of that, too!) The owner, Elizabeth Shreeves, was very nice and sat in front of her spinning wheel for quite some time spinning silk. They are based out of Lone Tree, Iowa.

Another booth that I really liked, and made some purchases from is the Huacaya Moon booth. This was like a mobile knitting supply and gadget store! This photo is only of the side of the booth - it was probably 20 feet wide. They had knitting baskets, rovings, dyes, needle cases, needles, swifts, winders, you name it! The company is based out of Bellevue, Iowa.

This booth is another place I bought things at (do you see a trend here?) This is the combined booth of Snokist Farm and Lamb Lane (no web address). These farms are in Southeastern Iowa, one in Fort Madison (strange fact: my boyfriend used to live in Ft. Madison and knew the farm's owners' cousin!) and the other is in Oakville, Iowa. Great hand-spun yarn. I wanted to buy some, but Kathy Blackett of Snokist gave me a lesson on spinning my own on a drop spindle. So I bought one!!

So that's kind of an overview of the vendors that I really, really liked. There were some other vendors, but I don't remember their names or didn't really talk to the people there. I will say that vendors should always have a business card or brochure available - that's why I had information about these vendors!!

Later this week, I'll show my actual purchases, photos of a sheep shearing demonstration, and a little more about some of the sheep I saw at the festival.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your kind words and great pictures, Antoinette! Glad you were able to make it to the festival and hope all of you on the list can join us next year. There are many fiber arts classes to take as well as sheep demos and education lectures regarding raising sheep. Lots of classes for kids, some fun bands, and, of course, we vendors always appreciate your attendance. Info on the festival is on the Iowa Sheep Breeders website - click on Festival for forms and info each year. Thanks again, Antoinette - -Nancy from Huacaya Moon who's wonderful customer/friend Susan sent me your blog. Also, who is putting in an expresso bar within the next few weeks here at the shop and will give anyone who mentions this blog a dollar off on their first coffee/tea/fruit smoothie when they come visit us this summer :)

Anonymous said...

hehhehheheheee... at first, I thought the first picture was what you bought at the festival!!!

I'm jealous... we've got nothing like that here!

Your SP

Anonymous said...

Yay! I enjoyed your recap. :) See, for me it's all about the Vendors and I heard there was some marvelous (and reasonably priced!!) stuff there ... can't wait to see your purchases.

Fernanda said...

Hi...
I'm a braziliam girl, i'm 17...(so I'm not very well in english.. i hope u undersatnd me... hehe)
I liked too much of your blog! Also liked this post about the festival...
what kind of festival is that? Is it a festival to get money to help people?! Or something like that?!
I know you won't understand my posts in my blog, but please, visit me and reply my comment! :)
Have a nice week!!!
Yours...

Anonymous said...

I loved seeing your pics! (And yay! Nancy left you a message, she rocks. Ask me about the yak "Bruce" and his brothers sometime...)