6.15.2006

The festival haul

I have to preface this by saying that I wanted today's post to have photos of the sheep shearing demonstration, but some of the photos might be disturbing. So, go here if you want to see them. That link is actually my whole photo album from the festival.

So, today I will show what I purchased at the festival.
This would be the total haul. Wool top roving (I'm not sure if that is the real name or not, but I know it's "wool top". Merino wool at that. Dyed silk hankies, a drop spindle, and two needles cases (one for me, one for a gift) made by Mango Moon.

This would be 130 grams of wool top roving (or whatever it's called.) The colors in the photo are right on - they're light and lovely. It's really soft, and I've tried and failed to spin it approximately three times already this week. I lack patience, but I know one day I'll get it.

This would be 21 grams of Mawata Silk Hankies. So soft, so pretty. I loved these colors. I was really drawn to them, and I'm not a huge fan of green. I have not tried to spin these yet. I bought this and the roving from the same place, Lone Tree Wools.


This is a close-up of the handpained drop spindle that I bought from Snokist Farm/Lamb Lane. It's of a Jacob Sheep! The owner, Kathy, gave me a demonstration of drop spindle spinning, and I thought it looked so easy, but I'm failing to master it at home. I told her that I would bring her some of my hand spun yarn next year, so I have to keep my promise!!

The needle cases are from the Huacaya Moon booth. They are made by Mango Moon. I love then - and I'd never seen them before. Got them at a great price, too - only $11.95 each! I would tell you what I paid for the other stuff, but I don't remember!!

Overall, I think the best part of the sheep and wool festival is the fact that people who run farms come to sell their wares, and you can find some very unique things. There's nothing like purchasing something that someone crafted with their own hands. The only thing that I didn't buy, but wish I did, was a dye your own silk hankie kit. Everytime I went to the booth that sold them, their were people talking to the owners. There's always next year!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Great purchases!

Roggey said...

A friend had purchased a silk hanky for me about a year ago. It's tough on your hands and you have to make sure you've got exceptionally soft hands and nails, otherwise you're snagging all over the place.

I hope it goes better for you!