2.08.2007

Swatching

So tonight I'm going to start knitting a sweater for my sister. I'm going to make either Green Gable or Glee in Royal Bamboo - the cornflower blue color.

I'm not quite sure what to do about swatching. I usually get gauge by going down two needle sizes - and since these patterns are mostly knit in the round, I need to make a round gauge swatch. I don't really want to. I just figure I can knit it, and see what happens. I know that many a knitting disaster has happened when knitters think they are above swatching. Only tonight will tell!

This will be my first adult knitted sweater. I'm making it for my sister because she's small!!

1 comment:

Operakatz said...

There's a way to swatch in the round that doesn't require a huge number of stitches cast on...it's sort of like a giant lopsided i-cord...cast on about 40 stitches (or whatever you'd typically cast on for a swatch) on your circulars, knit across, then push it back to the beginning as if to knit across the same way again and loosely bring the yarn behind it so that it doesn't pull it into a tube but stays pretty flat. :)